Division 1. Department of Industrial Relations
Chapter 4. Division of Industrial Safety
Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders
Group 13. Cranes and Other Hoisting Equipment
Article 93. Boom--Type Mobile Cranes
§4924. Load Safety Devices.
(a) All cranes having a maximum rated capacity exceeding one ton shall be equipped with safety devices as provided herein.
Exceptions: 1. Boom-type excavators used in excavation work and all equipment used exclusively for pile driving or log handling.
Articulating boom cranes are exempt from the provisions of subsections (c) and (d).
(b) All mobile cranes including truck-mounted tower cranes, except as provided above, having either a maximum rated boom length exceeding 200 feet or a maximum rated capacity exceeding 50 tons shall be equipped with a load indicating device or a load moment device, or a device that prevents an overload condition. Only approved devices as defined in the General Industry Safety Orders, Section 3206 shall be used.
(c) Each variable radius boom-type crane shall be equipped with a boom angle or a boom radius indicator in clear view from the operator's position.
(d) Cranes having a boom exceeding 60 feet in length or a maximum rated capacity exceeding 15 tons shall be provided with an approved boom angle or radius indicator which clearly shows the boom angle in degrees to the operator at all times; the indicator shall give a clear visual warning signal before high or low unsafe boom angles are reached; the indicator shall be adjustable, and under the control of the operator at all times; and a visual inspection of indicator shall be made each day by the operator to see that it is properly functioning.
(e) Spirit levels, or equivalent, shall be provided to indicate the level of the crane fore and aft and across the width.
Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 5-16-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 20).
2. Amendment of subsection (c) filed 11-28-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 48).
3. Amendment filed 2-6-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 6).
4. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 7-6-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 27).
5. Amendment filed 8-29-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 39).
6. Amendment of Exception to subsection (a) filed 4-16-93; operative 5-17-93 (Register 93, No. 16).
7. Editorial correction of History 2 (Register 97, No. 23).
8. Amendment of subsection (b) filed 1-3-2002; operative 2-2-2002 (Register 2002, No. 1).