Why are Safety & Warning Labels and Load Test Certification important?
Hoist, crane and puller equipment have specific application instructions. Operators and inspectors need to know how to safely apply each device and they need to understand their limitations.
What safety and warning information should be considered when purchasing, installing or using Hoists, Cranes and Pullers?
Some of the items that should be noted when purchasing, installing or using Hoists, Cranes and Pullers are:
1) Load test certification
2) Rated capacity clearly marked on the product
3) Specific warning information
4) Product model number, serial number and date of manufacture
5) Manufacturer’s name and contact information
6) Manufacturer’s Operations Manual
7) Applicable standards or codes with which the product complies
How can you protect your workers?
You can protect your workers by:
- Ensuring that all new products purchased comply with all applicable OSHA, National, State and local requirements.
- Ensure that all operators have been trained for each type of equipment.
- Use a preventative maintenance and inspection procedure for each type of equipment.
- Maintain proper inspection and maintenance records.
- Employees and Operators need to know:
- Proper equipment operator instructions.
- Load limits and capacities of each payload.
- Safe Rigging practices.
- Operator inspection requirement at the start of each shift.
- Equipment inspection and maintenance cycle requirements.
Where can I get more information?
Please refer to the Crane, Hoist and Monorail Alliance for additional information. If there is any question as to which standards or requirements apply please contact your local OSHA office.