Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Crane History Preserved! Komatsu and Link-Belt join HCEA

Bowling Green, OH -- The Historical Construction Equipment Association (HCEA), a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving the history of the construction, dredging and surface mining equipment industries, announced that Komatsu America Corporation, Link-Belt Construction Equipment Company and Turner Construction Company have joined the HCEA as corporate members.

Komatsu America Corporation joined for five years and is headquartered in Chicago. Founded in 1917 (fun fact: same year as Rieker Instrument Co. was established!), Komatsu is the world’s second largest manufacturer and supplier of quality construction, mining and compact construction equipment; along with representing these lines, Komatsu America also serves the forklift and forestry markets.

Link-Belt Construction Equipment Company originated in Chicago in 1906 with the consolidation of two firms established by William Dana Ewart to manufacture his patented detachable link chain. Now headquartered in Lexington, Ky., it has grown from the first Link-Belt crane, produced circa 1890, to become a leader in the design, manufacture and sales of telescopic and lattice boom cranes.

Turner Construction Company of New York is a leading international building and general contractor that was founded in 1902. Its extensive resume of projects includes Madison Square Garden and construction management for the world’s tallest building; the 2,717-foot Burj Khalifa in Dubai.

The National Construction Equipment Museum, operated by the HCEA in Bowling Green, Ohio, has a 1926 Link-Belt K2 crawler crane that has been fully restored by Museum volunteers, as well as several machines from Komatsu’s heritage. Its archives house substantial collections of records from Komatsu, Link-Belt and associated companies. Museum and Archives holdings are preserved and made available for public research and education.
Post a Comment