Wednesday, December 05, 2012
The Jurong shipyard accident which left 89 workers injured is "one of the worst accidents" in Singapore, said Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Manpower Hawazi Daipi. -- PHOTO: AP
The Manpower Ministry, which has halted work at the rig, will conduct a thorough investigation. The incident is a reminder to employers that safety is of utmost importance, said Mr Hawazi who visited injured workers at the Singapore General Hospital (SGH).
Some 89 workers were injured when a jackup rig at Jurong Shipyard tilted to one side on Monday. They were sent to hospitals; 77 has since been discharged. Six remain in normal wards while another six are under observation.
Preliminary findings showed that the three-legged jackup rig tilted to one side after the jack-up mechanism of one of the legs failed to work, said a spokesman for the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). The workers were sent to at least three hospitals.
At about 6.50pm on Monday, Mr Hawazi visited two people - a 22-year-old Singaporean female engineer and a Bangladeshi man - at the SGH. Nine were sent to that hospital, but seven had been discharged. The engineer, who was helping workers at the rig during the accident, suffered chest pain, said Mr Hawazi. She is believed to be the only Singaporean involved in the accident.
The Bangladeshi man, who complained of hip pain, said some workers fell on him when the rig tilted. According to Shin Min Daily News, about 2,000 workers were working on the rig. Some tried to escape by jumping off the rig into the sea, said Shin Min.